Saturday 22 June 2024

How editing compliments lighting and camera work

When starting my editing for my short film, I had to think about the type of editing techniques I wanted to use to ensure that the final edit came out the best it could. This allowed me to have an experience with Final Cut Pro so that I could adjust and change certain aspects of scenes. 

Within the editing of my short film, I had discovered how editing helps and compliments the use of lighting and camera work. This is shown in the following:
  • When the student's room is has gone black. 

In this image, we can clearly see that I had wanted to get a top view of the protagonist looking around and looking frustrated with what's going on. When setting up the equipment, I had to find a appropriate place to put the tripod and set up the camera. This allowed me to have a variety of options in Final Cut Pro to change the camera work if I had wanted to. For example, if the scene was not straight, I would have used the rotation tool to get it to where I had wanted. In regards to the lighting, I was able to utilise the brightness of the screens to help compliment the camera work and editing. In the image we can clearly see that I had adjusted the opacity to try and get a darker environment for the audience to connote that the classroom has just gone dark. Here we can see how using editing compliments lighting and camera work to make a short film better. 

  • Placing two scenes together (Camera - Lighten & opacity)

In this image we can clearly see that I had wanted to combine two clips together to create a better and more interesting experience for the audience. When filming these clips I had used a camera and my iPhone. I was then able to attach it onto a tripod to get a more stable view. When putting this into Final Cut Pro, I was able to use the blend mode feature and change it to lighten and change the lighting of the scene by using the opacity feature. This is shown in the image above. These editing techniques complimented the lighting and camera work better as I was able to enhance what was happening in the scene. Therefore, I was able to make the overall short film more engaging for the audience.
 
  • Bell (Stabilisation & adjusting the lighting)

In this image we can see that I had filmed a scene where there was a bell going off. When I was filming this scene on the camera, I was not able to change the settings to make it more stable or make it dimmer. This was because I only had limited time on the camera and I would have not been able to film it if I had spent time figuring out the settings. However, with the use of Final Cut Pro, I was able to find a stabilisation setting and I was able to adjust the lighting. The image of showing how I did this is in the picture above. By being able to adjust and change these settings I was then able to get the effect I had wanted to in the beginning of my production. Therefore this clearly shows us how editing has complimented lighting and camera work. 

  • Student telling the audience it wasn't him (Distort/Gaussian & Blend mode) 

In the images above, we can see that the protagonist is telling the person watching and the audience that it wasn't him. When filming this scene I was able to use my iPhone was able to use the stabilisation feature on there. When putting this in Final Cut Pro, I was able to use the distort feature and used a gaussian mode to make the scene blurry at different points. I was able to use the blend mode again to make the lighting of this scene more effective. As a result of using these techniques, the editing had complimented the lighting and camera work. 

  • Ending scene (Keying & opacity) 

In the images above, we can see that it is the ending scene of the film and this is where the door started to open. When filming this scene I was able to use the camera to get the best resolution possible. When putting this in Final Cut Pro, I was able to use the keying and opacity feature to make the scene realistic. For example, by using these features I was able to make the scene a little more brighter so that the audience can see what was really going on. As a result of using these techniques, the editing had complimented the lighting and camera work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

How editing compliments lighting and camera work

When starting my editing for my short film, I had to think about the type of editing techniques I wanted to use to ensure that the final edi...